Lands & Waters Guardian Intern
Deadline: March 15, 2024
Reports to: Lands & Resources Director
Term: 16 week contract, 35 hours/week, possibility of extension
Missanabie Cree First Nation is looking for a Lands & Waters Guardian Intern
Missanabie Cree First Nation Lands and Resources Department is seeking a Lands & Waters Guardian Intern to carry out water monitoring, shoreline cleanup and wetland surveying on the traditional territory of the Missanabie Cree. This position is collaboratively created in partnership with the Nordik Institute. The incumbent will be responsible for fieldwork and data collection on Missanabie Reserve and lands adjacent in Northern Ontario as well as community outreach.
• Post-Secondary study in the field of natural resource management
• Class G Licence and Clean Driver’s Abstract (frequent travel to Missanabie is required)
• CPIC required upon job offer
Support department efforts to protect the lands and waters of Missanabie Cree’s traditional territories by undertaking to:
1. Conduct water sampling at strategic locations to collect data for the DataStream provincial database and work with Algoma University interns to analyze and synthesize reports on the data.
2. Conduct field survey to inventory wetlands, conduct song-bird monitoring, and monitor moose habitat.
3. Help with identification, prevention and/or mitigation of invasive species from reserve lands and waters.
4. Assist with community outreach, delivery of Youth Canoe Trip and activities at the Family camp and Annual Gathering.
Other duties as required
• Knowledge and experience in conducting wildlife and forestry surveys
• Research, report writing, and financial record-keeping.
To apply, please send your cover letter, resume and 3 references to June Markie at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note preference will be given to Missanabie Cree First Nation members and other First Nation, Metis, and Inuit